Saturday, November 5, 2011

We are here

After an early morning of airports and very small airplanes, we touched down in Haiti.  It was another challenge to get all of the 12 bins of donations that we checked and get through the mob outside the airport.

The bus ride was very enlightening.  It was a surreal mixture of beautiful scenery and complete devastation.  Seeing all of the tent cities made me feel both blessed with what I have and guilty for the circumstances of where I was born and the opportunities that life has given me.

By lunch time we had arrived at the Mission of Hope facility.  Just in time for some PB+Jon stale bread which, depending on who you ask, tasted just fine.  

We had a little time to relax and walk around.  Mission of Hope seems to be exactly as the name sounds so far.  Children are given an good education here and can hopefully make an impact towards rebuilding their country in the future.  It's very refreshing to see kids want to get an education here.  (I learned that the school here is the 2nd best in the country)

I'm pretty sure I can speak for everyone when I say that this will be a life experience that will not only make me a better person but give me a much more real perspective on which of life's problems are really the important ones.

Joe H

1 comment:

sheryl olsen said...

Good to hear you are on the ground safely. It is amazing being able to track your mission. You are being prayed for stateside!